Monday, January 14, 2013

Go Natural EP#1: Body Wash!

This is the informational blog post that goes along with the first episode of my 'Going Natural in steps' series with my friend Jen, inspiredmom824. The first episode covers Body Wash!

           The goal for this series is for Jen to switch more of her items to natural, and me to help others make the switch with some help from my acquired knowledge about ingredients!
Here you will see all of the important information written out so you can come back to it when you need it! I also linked some of my older videos for parabens, sulfates, and silicones. (I'll eventually get around to redoing these ;P)

            As I noted in the video, body washes are not my favorite; I would prefer to use a natural homemade bar soap most of the time. However, my favorite all-purpose product that serves as a body wash would be my Dr. Bronner's Unscented Castile Soap. However, at Whole Foods today I did spend some time looking at body washes and was pleased with the majority of the ingredients in these::


*I haven't tried these personally myself (except Pangea) so I can't vouch for the lather, how the fragrance will affect your skin, etc.

Now, some TIPS!

AVOID:
Parabens: 
My video: Parabens
-These are a no-no, especially in body wash and products that cover large surface areas of your body. -Most common names are methylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben, ethylparaben.
-These will usually be found towards the bottom of a product (where MOST preservatives are located, but not always).
Sulfates:
My video: Sulfates
-These are harsh lathering agents and will usually make your skin very dry, among other harmful effects in the body. 
-Most common names are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate. 
-These will usually be found as one of the first ingredients in a body wash. 
*These CAN be called different names, so if suspicious - GOOGLE IT. That will be your best help when looking for information.
Silicone:
-Silicone is used to great a barrier on the skin making it feel soft and moisturized, when really it prevents any moisturizer from going to and from your skin. It is also known to break people out, so I especially avoid it on the face.
-Most common names are dimethicone, amodimethicone, and clyclomethicone . Other names/derivatives found here
-These can be found anywhere in an ingredient list, so read the ENTIRE list. 
Numbers/ Can you pronounce the ingredient?
-Numbers usually signal a chemical ingredient that usually has a complex name. If you can pronounce the ingredient and it doesn't "sound" chemical, that's a good sign.
Fragrance (is UP TO YOU!):
-Fragrance can be drying for some people and artificial fragrances are typically not good internally (unless made from essential oils). My knowledge and research about fragrances is pretty limited at this point; sorry!

BE AWARE OF:
Other surfactants: (ingredients that make a product lather)
-Such as Cocamidopropyl Betaine; it is a surfactant that is less harsh than sulfates, but still one I avoid.
-There are SO MANY ingredients now that make a product lather. Again I recommend google to specifically read about each surfactant you come across.
-Again, these will usually be within the first few ingredients (not always though)
Alcohol:
Alcohol is very drying. In a truly natural product you typically won't find any alcohol. 

YES!
Natural oils
-Olive, coconut, jojoba, argan, avocado, etc! There are tons! These are THE BEST for your skin. 
Essential oils (for fragrance);
-Essential oils are made from natural sources and whilst they are strong, they are not at all like synthetic fragrances.
*Be careful with these when spending time in the sun/in the summer, as essential oils on the skin can cause skin sensitivity when in the sun. I recommend using something with less essential oils or in an unscented formula (like the Dr. Bronner's Castile).


As always, feel free to ask any questions you have or shoot me a list of ingredients via youtube or my email iluvjesse444@me.com for help! Let me know if you decide to purchase any body washes and if you have suggestions for future episodes/posts!


1 comment:

  1. Fragrances contain phalates (hormone disrupters) which can be put under the label of "fragrance." According to the Skin Deep Database, fragrances are among the top five allergens. I know this firsthand as I am allergic to them - they give me headaches, itchy throat, and sometimes skin reactions.

    Basically, "fragrance" can mean anything - phalates, formaldehyde, and who knows what else... it doesn't need to be disclosed.

    Definitely one to avoid, in my opinion!

    Anyway, thanks for this post - very informative! I'm lucky to have Dr. Bronner's as a company that is local to me. I love their products.

    ReplyDelete